All over our kibbles. She keeps talking about a change in food and she’s been combing our house for any hidden treats or snacks that she may deem “unfit for canine consumption”. Now, I don’t know what she is talking about, but the word BARF keeps ‘ coming up. Now, I don’t know about YOU but if someone kept calling my food BARF, I think I’d be like “Cram it you! I’m not eating something that you compare to VOMIT! Yuck!”
Apparently it’s an acronym and not a description of my new food’s flavouring.
Well, I should hope it’s not! the Mama is running a 5-star hotel here and I demand gourmet food stuffs. WENCH! Get in the kitchen!
Back in the spring, the Mama attended a Holistic Health Wellness Pet Show. She learned a lot of thing over that weekend, most of which gave her mushy brain and a new respect for our vet. Se also learned that a whole lot of the dog people she respects in this town (including our own holistic vet) are feeding their dogs a BARF-style raw food diet. She was intrigued, but reluctant to change us from our high end kibble rotation, but the Felix is having the worst allergy year ever. Since raw food is apparently supposed to help improve allergies, we are trying it. Anything is better than all this itching and scraching. It’s like that boy has lice or something!
With an open mind and an empty stomach, we are starting a raw-fed feeding trial.
The day after tomorrow, Felix and |I will be eating a raw dog food. The Mama hopes that:
- We like it. We are both a bit “fussbudget”-y, if you catch my drift. “Aunt Vicki” (aka Grandma) thinks we are spoiled but the Mama says we just have discerning taste bus.
- We thrive on it. It’s a big cost jump. The Mama doesn’t just want us to survive, she wants us to THRIVE.
- the Felix’s allergies improve ’cause we can not take his scratching anymore. Someone should bath that boy down in calamine lotion!
The Mama is worried like crazy because:
- the Daddy & the Nana can’t be trusted. She has impressed upon them the importance of not sneaking us pizza crusts and peanut butter toast when no one is looking, but she isn’t sure they’ll comply. the Daddy might do it out of fear of the Mama’s temper, but the Nana? Mama will have to keep her hawk-eyes on that one.
- Right now, it seems like a lot of work and maintenance. Not that it isn’t worth it, but the Mama would like to minimize the work, if possible.(She’s a LAZY PUPPY!)
So, who out there eats BARF-y food? What tips do you have to make it easy & human friendly? Thanks for sharing – we can’t wait to hear what you have to say!