I think I failed to mention just how addictive Pinterest can be! I really love the fun, visual social network they’ve created there. It’s easy to get caught up in the Pinsanity and just pin a million things. That’s definitely how I used to pin. After BlogPaws, I’ve been making some sweeping changes to our Pinterest boards. (It’s a work in progress!)
Caroline from High Paw Media made an excellent point – If you’re using Pinterest to promote a blog or a business, there are some things you should know.
- Pinterest Ettiquette: Yes! That’s a thing While there isn’t an “official rulebook” for Pinterest, there are a few things you should do to be a considerate Pinner. Check out the Pinterest Ettiquette Page to learn more. To me, the most important thing to remember is to link back to the original source. I get giddy with excitement when I see someone has pinned content from Kol’s Notes and my heart sinks every time I see that they haven’t linked it back here.
- Take the “me” out of social media. The best Pinterest accounts are the ones sharing great content that supports their blog or brands message, not just pushing their own posts or products. Sure, it’s cool to pin a few of your own things, but make sure that the majority of your pins are great stuff from other sources.
- Be original. You can’t expand your Pinterest reach by pinning the same stuff everyone else is pinning. Original pins are where it’s at and you see a huge increase in repins with original content.
- Be pinnable. Pinterest is super visual. If you want your post to get pinned, make sure you have a great image in it. Consider adding watermarks with your web address. Go the extra mile to make it easy for readers to pin you stuff by using a Pin It! button under images you would love to see pinned.
- Tasty Tuesday Bloggers – we want to pin you! We’re always looking for tasty treats to add to our Kolchak’s Kitchen Dog Treats Board! I think mention n my last post that 64% of my new traffic on this blog comes from Pinterest. That is woofing amazing to me!
- Win Free Swag by with our Giveaways for Dog Lovers Board
- Speaking of Giveaways, we’ve been getting Pinterest in on the fun! You can now pin our sponsor’s products to earn extra entries into Kol’s Notes giveaways! (Want to try it? Enter our PureBites Giveaway!)
- Pinterest can make a contest cool! Some brands are harnessing the power of Pinterest and encouraging readers to create Pinterest boards that embraces a theme in order to win a prize. For example, an Apartment Guide reader created this patio for her pets as a part of the “A New Place for Your Pet” Blogger Challenge.
- Do you know how to do cool stuff? How to and DIY posts are a big hit on Pinterest. We’re joining in the fun with our DIY Dog pins and an entire board dedicated to How to Train Your Human
- Pawprints! We love Doggy themed art! Visually awesome, Pinterest is a great promo spot for anyone creating pet art. Consider watermarking your images though!
- Rescue Me! We’re pinning some of the CUTEST puggles around – and the best part? They’re all adoptable! Take one home today!
- Plus, we’ve got a bunch of boards that are just good clean, doggy style fun! Dog humour, great dog toys, pet inspired home decor, fashion for dogs and for pet people too!