When Peggy and I chose October as a K9 Kamp month, I don’t think we realized just how perfect the timing would be. After all, it’s National Walk Your Dog Week and October is National Pet Obesity Month.
More than half the canine population in the US, or 36.7 million dogs, are over weight, according to their veterinarian.
That is a TON of dogs that need to get their diet in check and get their butts moving. That’s a big deal. We get it. It’s not always easy to get out and get active with your dog and sometimes, it’s too easy to equate food with love. We’re killing our pets with kindness. It’s time for some tough love.
Good thing that getting fit with Fido can also be a lot of fun.
That is the theme of this month’s K9 Kamp Challenge: Fitness fun & games. We want to focus on all the ways you can get fit with your dog and have fun doing it. After all, it’s way easier to make time for fitness if you enjoy what you’re doing. So, to you our faithful kampers, we issue this challenge: DO MORE.
Get active with your dog, 30 minutes extra, 3 or 4 times a week.
So, what can you do to get fit and have fun?
Here are some Casa de Kolchak favourites and things we’d love to try:
- Fetch (or better yet, Fetch It Yourself!)
- Tug of War
- Catch Me if You Can
- Monkey in the Middle
- Agility (or build your own obstacle course)
- Treiball (or just kick an exercise ball around in the yard)
As always, we’re rewarding our fabulous Kampers with some cool prizes!
Sue from For Love of a Dog, is sharing this amazing handmade dog lover bracelet in the For Love of a Dog Paw Print Jewelry series.
- a $25 Gift Certificate to Amazon.com to buy your dog’s favourite fitness toys
- an adorable Fido’s Fashion collar & leash set with a MagneClip clasp
- 1 of 10 Dogobie Flying Discs from Aerobie
Bark Back! What’s your dog’s favourite fitness game?
Pssssssstttt! Don’t forget to check out these other K9 Kamp Fitness Fun & Games posts!
If you liked this, then you'll probs like these too:
Latest posts by Jodi Chick (see all)
- Making #TheArtofNutrition Fun with a DIY Dog Food Toy - 13 April, 2015
- Devilled Eggs for Dogs - 30 March, 2015
- 5 Ways to Use Leftover Sweet Potato in Dog Treats - 23 March, 2015