Christmas Dog Treat Recipes, Dehydrator Dog Treat Recipes, DIY Dog Treat Recipes, Easy Dog Treat Recipes, Thanksgiving Dog Treat Recipes, Turkey Dog Treat Recipes

How to Make Turkey Jerky for Dog from Leftover Turkey

21 Comments 25 November 2013

The other day, the Mama mentioned on the Facebook that you can turn your turkey day leftovers to make homemade jerky for your dog.

I know, that’s kind of awesome, right? When the humans are all calfed out on the couches, moaning and bloated, you can rest contentedly know that the rest of that bird is yours.

Here at Casa de Kolchak, we don’t like to waste, so every last bit of our turkey goes to use. Once dinner is over and the turkey sandwiches with the moistmakers have been packed away into lunch bags, Mama strips all the remaining meat off the turkey and uses the bones to make a dog friendly, onion free turkey stock. Then she takes all that meat and turns it into jerky.

Do you want to give it a try? Here’s what you do:

how to make turkey jerky dog treats from leftover turkey

Editted from a photo by Pink Sherbet PhotographySome rights reserved

Turkey Jerky Dog Treats (from Leftover Turkey)

The Stuff (aka Ingredients)

• Leftover Turkey
  • optional:
  • - 1/2 c. olive oil
  • - 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley

How We Do It (Instructions)

Thinly slice turkey, carving with the grain of the meat.

If desired, mix together oil and parsley in a Ziploc bag. Add turkey meat and toss to coat. Squish out air, seal the bag and allow to marinate overnight.

Oven Method:

Preheat oven to 150F. Lay out turkey on parchment lined baking sheets or on drying racks. Bake with door open for 3 - 6 hours, until jerky is crispy and crunchy.

Dehydrator Method:

Lay out turkey on drying racks. Turn on dehydrator. Dry for 3 - 6 hours until crispy and crunchy.

Store in an airtight container.

From our house to yours, Happy Thanksgiving!

And hey! Don’t forget to mosey on over to this post and tell us what your dog is grateful for this Thanksgiving – you could win a lunchbag and vouchers for free Freshpet dog food!

Every week, we invite you to link up your Tastiest Post and Hop On to discover all sorts of new treats recipes, great giveaways and other tasty fun!
To take part, follow your hosts, Kol’s Notes &  Sugar the Golden Retriever, grab the badge from our sidebar, get the InLinkz code for your post, and add your link to this week’s hop! What are you waiting for?
HOP ON!

Your Comments

21 Comments so far

1. katherine dutcher says:

oh dear this makes me wish we were making a turkey this year. we are not as I hate turkey, instead I am making stuffed pumpkin. I have to hide this post from the dogs they will be so mad

urban hounds

• KolchakPuggle says:

Mmmmmm stuffed pumpkin sounds amazing too! Emma at my GBGV Life shared a recipe for turkey jerky using ground turkey on today’s hop. Maybe you can appease them with that?

2. nailahbone says:

You’ve got such good ideas! :) I was considering making jerky with our leftover turkey, now I’m definitely going to! Thanks for the tips!

3. Jodi says:

do you actually think our over door could be open with Delilah in the house?

• KolchakPuggle says:

Only about as long as it can be open at Casa de Kolchak? Full disclosure: I make these in the dehydrator ON THE DECK. It’s the only way or the puggle will know.

4. Flea says:

I really need to get the dehydrator out of the cupboard …

5. We must bake a turkey so we can make these! Like the marinading in a ziplock bag idea!

• KolchakPuggle says:

Thanks! Mama usually marinates everything that way. If you have a vaccuum sealer (we do!) that works even better!

6. Alfie Entlebucher says:

Roooo that jerky looks pawsome *drooling*

7. Emma says:

Hey! Were we on the same wavelength today or what???

8. Kristine says:

The only way I could conceivably leave my oven door open that long with food inside is if my dog somehow lost her sense of smell. It’s either that or I bribe the cat to stand guard. But even he would be tempted!

• KolchakPuggle says:

That is honestly what pushed me to buy a dehydrator. I can plug it in out on the deck and shut the slider and no doggy is the wiser.

9. Jessica says:

I am so lazy. I just use raw turkey. My husband is a vegetarian, so the only turkey that comes in our house is meant for Silas from the get-go.

• KolchakPuggle says:

Ha ha ha ha! That is the opposite of lazy! Most people are too lazy to make these from fresh meat, which is why I suggest trying them with leftovers! Either way, we have lucky dogs!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Turkey Jerky / The Dog Blog - 26 November, 2013
  2. My House is Run By a Tiny Dictator | Kol's NotesKol's Notes - 26 November, 2013

[...] happen. This whole post is kind of disappointing. If you’re new to Kol’s Notes, maybe click here or here and check out something awesome or even come back tomorrow when I’ll be better, [...]

3. Top Ten Dog Treat Recipes of 2013 | Kol's NotesKol's Notes - 30 December, 2013

[...] [...]

4. Win an Excalibur Dehydrator and Make Healthy Dog Treats at Home | Kol's NotesKol's Notes - 18 March, 2014

[…] Easy Turkey Jerky from Leftovers […]