How to Make Turkey Jerky Dog Treats from Leftover Turkey

The other day, the Mama mentioned on the Facebook that you can turn your turkey day leftovers to make homemade jerky for your dog.

I know, that’s kind of awesome, right? When the humans are all calfed out on the couches, moaning and bloated, you can rest contentedly know that the rest of that bird is yours.

Here at Casa de Kolchak, we don’t like to waste, so every last bit of our turkey goes to use. Once dinner is over and the turkey sandwiches with the moistmakers have been packed away into lunch bags, Mama strips all the remaining meat off the turkey and uses the bones to make a dog friendly, onion free turkey stock. Then she takes all that meat and turns it into jerky.

Do you want to give it a try? Here’s what you do:

how to make turkey jerky dog treats from leftover turkey

Editted from a photo by Pink Sherbet PhotographySome rights reserved

Turkey Jerky Dog Treats (from Leftover Turkey)

The Stuff (aka Ingredients)

• Leftover Turkey
  • optional:
  • - 1/2 c. olive oil
  • - 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley

How We Do It (Instructions)

Thinly slice turkey, carving with the grain of the meat.

If desired, mix together oil and parsley in a Ziploc bag. Add turkey meat and toss to coat. Squish out air, seal the bag and allow to marinate overnight. (This step isn't vital, but it can help revive meat that might have been over cooked or left out and got a bit dry.)

Oven Method:

Preheat oven to 150F. Lay out turkey on parchment lined baking sheets or on drying racks. Bake with door open for 3 - 6 hours, until jerky is crispy and crunchy.

Dehydrator Method:

Lay out turkey on drying racks. Turn on dehydrator. Dry for 3 - 6 hours until crispy and crunchy.

Store in an airtight container.

From our house to yours, Happy Thanksgiving!

1. katherine dutcher says

oh dear this makes me wish we were making a turkey this year. we are not as I hate turkey, instead I am making stuffed pumpkin. I have to hide this post from the dogs they will be so mad

urban hounds

• KolchakPuggle says

Mmmmmm stuffed pumpkin sounds amazing too! Emma at my GBGV Life shared a recipe for turkey jerky using ground turkey on today’s hop. Maybe you can appease them with that?

2. nailahbone says

You’ve got such good ideas! :) I was considering making jerky with our leftover turkey, now I’m definitely going to! Thanks for the tips!

• KolchakPuggle says

Only about as long as it can be open at Casa de Kolchak? Full disclosure: I make these in the dehydrator ON THE DECK. It’s the only way or the puggle will know.

• KolchakPuggle says

Thanks! Mama usually marinates everything that way. If you have a vaccuum sealer (we do!) that works even better!

3. Kristine says

The only way I could conceivably leave my oven door open that long with food inside is if my dog somehow lost her sense of smell. It’s either that or I bribe the cat to stand guard. But even he would be tempted!

• KolchakPuggle says

That is honestly what pushed me to buy a dehydrator. I can plug it in out on the deck and shut the slider and no doggy is the wiser.

• KolchakPuggle says

Ha ha ha ha! That is the opposite of lazy! Most people are too lazy to make these from fresh meat, which is why I suggest trying them with leftovers! Either way, we have lucky dogs!