DIY Dog Treat Recipes, Giveaways

If You Can Read This, Send Leftovers

14 Comments 20 November 2013

I hear that my US friends are celebrating a holiday this weekend.

As my friend ‘Vie would say “It’s big chicken named after a country” day, but the rest of you probably call it Thanksgiving. This is the one time of the year that I’m a titch jealous of my American cohorts. You guys are going to have turkey this weekend. I love turkey… and mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts and all the trappings of the holiday. I love spending time with family and friends and I love thinking about everything we’re grateful for. We have a lot to be grateful for.

Why am I jealous? Well, here in Canada, eh, we celebrated our Thanksgiving back in October. While you’re tucking into a big meal, I’ll be eating the same old, same old. SEND LEFTOVERS.

With all those guests around, us dogs are sure to get slipped a snack or two.

Mama says company has good intentions, but bad judgement.

Want to make sure your dog snacks safe? Mama recommends putting out a bowl of pre-approved dog friendly snacks and let your loved ones know they are free to share anything from the bowl.

Work the eyes and you too can share a holiday meal.

Mama doesn’t believe in holding back the good stuff, so she’s put together a few tips to make sure if you do share a meal with your dog, it’s totally safe. Check it out:

Click here to read all of our dos and don’ts.

Even if you don’t snag a special meal on the big day, all hope is not lost!

Turn on those puppy eyes, whine a bit at the leftovers and try to talk your humans into whipping up some tasty treats!

Thanksgiving Thumbprint Cookies

Turkey & Kale Checkerboard Treats

Turkey & Rice Puggle Poppers

Turkey Tasties

And for all those humans out there. Watch out for the Mama.

She’s craving a turkey sandwich really badly. Be careful! You could put your lunch in the fridge at work and BAM! That turkey sandwich with a moistmaker? Gonzo. You could turn into a raving lunatic, like this guy.

Koly’s got your back though.

Do you know how Mama keeps her lunch safe in the fridge at work?

She keeps it in her Freshpet Lunch Bag.

She keeps it in her Freshpet Lunch Bag. Ain’t nobody gonna steal yo’ lunch, if they think it’s dog food. That Mama, she is crafty as woof, eh?

Thanks to our friends at Freshpet, we’ve got a lunch bag for one of you, plus some coupons for free Freshpet tastiness for your dog.

All you’ve got to do to enter, is leave a comment below telling us what you and your dog(s) are grateful for this Thanksgiving. You’ve got until midnight Thursday, Nov. 28th to get your entry in.

And don’t forget: SEND LEFTOVERS!

Kol’s Note: Freshpet sent us a lunchbag and some Freshpet free product coupons as a thank you for participating in the Freshpet Fridge Challenge. Since Mama already has a Freshpet lunch bag, she’s sharing this one with you guys because she’s a giver like that. Freshpet did not compensate us for this post and all opinions are our own.

Your Comments

14 Comments so far

1. Emma says:

We will be on vacation on Thanksgiving this year, so Mom won’t be cooking which means no leftovers. I’m not sure who is more bummed, her or us as she loves Thanksgiving food. That freshpet bag is a clever idea that I bet does work really well to prevent stealing. We could use one of those, and we are thankful for our wonderful home with a loving mom that does the world for us, and each other since we aren’t only pets, we have great siblings to hang around with.

2. jealoushe says:

I agree…..why cant we have two Thanksgivings here! ahaha

3. Pamela | Something Wagging says:

Honey is probably most thankful for having her Kong stuffed with FreshPet every morning and every night. You don’t have enough room in this little comment box for me to share everything I’m thankful for.

I’m feeling your pain. I love cooking Thanksgiving dinner. But my mother refuses to do anything traditional so we’re going to a restaurant for Thanksgiving. Ugh. No leftovers. :(

4. Maggie says:

This is the first year since I met John 10 years ago that we haven’t had to travel anywhere! We’re SO excited to stay put and spend the long weekend quietly… though we’re trying to decide if we should cook or go out. The dogs vote cook so they get the leftovers! :)

5. Jackie Bouchard says:

Rita and I are grateful for our happy home and the fact that we get to
    spend every day together! I love Thanksgiving. It’s my fave holiday! I
    can’t it wait for it to be here!

6. Jessica Sala says:

Thankful for great dog recipies like this :) sounds like great homemade holiday gift ideas for our dog friends!

7. Jessica says:

American Thanksgiving is well on its way to becoming just a road bump on the way to Christmas. Sadly, because it really is a great holiday.

8. Kelly Ann T says:

We are THANKFUL for our dogs, and they are thankful that they were adopted into a loving, safe home. Kouga and Artie are thankful for each other, they are best buddies.

9. jana rade says:

We keep it simple and share turkey breast. No complaints from the guys :-)

10. Tenacious Little Terrier says:

I’m thankful for sunny days, living in a dog friendly city and pie. Mr. N is thankful for piles of fresh laundry, bones to chew on and someone to play wrestle bitey face with (foster dog).

11. SGilbert says:

I’m thankful for my husband, sons, daughter in laws, triplet grandchildren and all the rest of my family members. I am so very thankful for Schooner and Skipper because they bring me so must joy to my life and they love to snuggle! Thankful for my wonderful life.

12. Tammy Preast says:

I am thankful that my senior Bichon Frise Babies are healthy and happy…it’s so heartbreaking when they get older and you watch them become fragile…Figgy turned 15 years old on Nov 11th and Pixie will be 11 years old on Dec 2nd…fingers crossed these babies live to be 20!!!
    P.S. – I put a few slices of turkey in the mail…

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. How to Make Turkey Jerky for Dog from Leftover Turkey | Kol's NotesKol's Notes - 26 November, 2013

[...] hey! Don’t forget to mosey on over to this post and tell us what your dog is grateful for this Thanksgiving – you could win a lunchbag and vouchers for free Freshpet dog [...]

2. Happy Turkey Day | GBGV | This n That Thursday | mygbgvlife - 28 November, 2013

[...] of less fortunate, my pals Kolchak and Felix are suffering this Thanksgiving because they are Canadian and don’t get turkey today. They [...]

Share your view