One of my favourite things about this time of year is the bounty of summer fruits that BC has to offer. We have berry farms and fruit orchards and it always seems like there are a million new ways to tempt mine (and the dogs) taste buds in the summer. We all know that dogs can have staples like apple, but what other some other summer fruits you can share with your dog? Check it out!
Summer Fruits You Can Share With Your Dog
1. Raspberries – Holy woof you guys. Kolchak will CUT YOU for fresh raspberries. He loves them so much that in the summer, I can use them as training treats. (Awesome, right?) See that picture up there? Immediately after it was taken he did 16 “puppy push ups” in order to earn one berry. Felix is fussier – he only likes a raspberry if you mottle it first, releasing the juices and ensure he makes a mess with it.
2. Cherries – Felix is really more of a cherry fan and whoa boy, why does that not surprise me? Cherries are a bit of a pain to share with dogs because you have to de-seed them before you can give them to your dog. The inner pits can be really dangerous, not only are they a choking hazard and totally capable of causing a bowel obstruction, the pits, leaves and stems contain a natural cyanide. Feed these with caution, but the ripe fruit, without the seeds, is totally safe.
3. Peaches & Nectarines – These lucious juicy fruits are a Casa de Kolchak favourite. Whether we’re tossing them on the grill for a quick dog friendly dessert or just slicing them and eating them plain, the dogs and I love it. Make sure that you remove all of the seed though. Like with all fruits, the seeds can be super dangerous if swallowed.
4. Blueberries – We live in the heart of blueberry country and every year I worry a little that my dogs are going to fade from black to blue because we eat so many blueberries! These great little fruits are perfect for tossing in the freezer and grabbing a handful any time you need a sweet, cool treat. Like with the raspberries, some dogs will enjoy these more if you smash the berry a bit first (I’m looking at you Mr. High Maintenance Felix) so they can smell how yummy it is.
5. Watermelon – If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a million times. The dogs I know love watermelon. It’s one of my favourite treats to give on a hot day because it is 91% water. That means it is super helpful in keeping your dogs hydrated when it is too hot to tempt them to drink.
6. Strawberries – Is there anything nicer than a ripe, sweet sun soaked strawberry? Woof no. They’re awesome. Back in the day, when I had my garden of Good Intentions and Poor Execution, I had a generous strawberry plot and wouldn’t you know it, I never got to eat one! Koly that little rat would pick them, fresh off the vine, as soon as they were ready. Jerk.
As with any treats, you should only give fruit in moderation. If your dog has never had it before, go slow or it could cause stomach upset.
What summer fruits does your dog love?
Never miss out on the Kol’s Notes fun by signing up for our emails! You can get posts delivered directly to your inbox once a day, once a week or sign up for our Woof Newsletter (which I swear you guy, I’m going to have revamped and up and running soon. Pinky promise!!) – We’ll also tucked a voting reminder in there, so if you need a daily nudge to get out and vote, you’ve got it! Click here to sign up now
To join in, follow your hosts, Kol’s Notes & Sugar the Golden Retriever, grab the badge from our sidebar and add your link to this week’s hop!