Everyone knows that fresh vegges are the go to treat for dogs who want to trim their waistlines, but hear all the time that some dogs just don’t want to eat their veggies.Now, the Mama s a bit of a tough cookie.
She always offers us vegges as treats. If we don’t eat ‘em. Tough. She won’t offer us a cookie or something higher value for refusing a treat. She keeps trying new and different veggies. She figures that f we’re only offered veggies, eventually she’ll hit on something we adore. At Casa de Kolchak, that thing we adore is sweet red bell peppers. Love’em! Those red bells of delight rock our world. The yellow ones aren’t bad either!
That being said, we know that sometimes, you just need a tempting treat.
Maybe you are working on training. Maybe it’s a special occasion. Maybe you’re just a nicer human than my hardhearted Mama. Whatever the reason – we can help. Dogs on a diet should be avoiding any added carbs, so the traditional treat ideas of canine cookies or sweet potato chewies are out.
What you want is a meaty treat.
Good thing Meat Munchies are totally easy to make.
The Stuff (aka Ingredients)
- You can use almost any meat you want. I've even made them from the leftovers of human dinners (just watch the spices to make sure everything s 100% dog frendly)! Our favourites are:
- Whitefish, such as cod, haddock, or sole
- Chicken or Turkey Breast
- Extra-lean beef, such as eye-of-round, sirloin tip, top round, bottom round or top sirloin. (Hey, you never know! Maybe it's on sale, right??)
- Extra lean Pork, such as pork tenderloin
- Game meats tend to be leaner than other cuts, try bison/buffalo, venison, ostrich or rabbit.
How We Do It (Instructions)
Pre-heat the oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Thin slice (or pound out) meat until it is about 1/4" thick. Slice into 1" x 1" squares.arrange on baking sheet. Place in oven and bake for 1 hour. Turn oven down to 150F and bake for 6 - 8 hours. (You could also pop them into a counter top dehydrator!)
Serve as needed for a great lean treat.
This is a blog hop! Every week, we invite you to link up your Tastiest Post and Hop On to discover all sorts of new treats recipes, great giveaways and more!To take part, follow your hosts, Kol’s Notes & Sugar the Golden Retriever, grab the badge from our sidebar, get the inLinkz code for your blog, and add your link to this week’s hop!