Make Turkey Jerky Dog Treats from Leftover Turkey

At Casa de Kolchak, we believe in real food.

My dogs are used to getting fresh, wholesome foods like lean meats, unseasoned vegetables and seasonal fruits. These real food additions are a part of their everyday diet, so when the holiday roll around. I don’t hesitate to share a bit of Thanksgiving¬†leftovers in a dog-friendly way by turning them into healthy dog treats.

Not all dogs are ready for a Thanksgiving feast. If your dog eats kibble or dog food most or all of the time, the holiday indulgence can cause stomach upset or worse, trigger a bout with pancreatitis.

These turkey jerky dog treats made from left over turkey are the perfect, safe holiday treat.

Turkey Jerky Dog Treats (from Leftover Turkey)

The Stuff (aka Ingredients)

• Leftover Turkey - White meat is great, but dogs love dark meat too
  • optional:
  • - 1/4 c. olive oil
  • - 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley or other fresh, dog friendly herb

How We Do It (Instructions)

Thinly slice turkey, carving with the grain of the meat.

If desired, mix together oil and parsley in a Ziploc bag. Add turkey meat and toss to coat. Squish out air, seal the bag and allow to marinate overnight. (This step isn't vital, but it can help revive meat that might have been over cooked or left out and got a bit dry.)

Oven Method:

Preheat oven to 150F. Lay out turkey on parchment lined baking sheets or on drying racks. Bake with door open for 3 - 6 hours, until jerky is crispy and crunchy.

Dehydrator Method:

Lay out turkey on drying racks. Turn on dehydrator. Dry for 3 - 6 hours until crispy and crunchy.

Store in an airtight container.

From our house to yours, Happy Thanksgiving!

1. katherine dutcher says

oh dear this makes me wish we were making a turkey this year. we are not as I hate turkey, instead I am making stuffed pumpkin. I have to hide this post from the dogs they will be so mad

urban hounds

• KolchakPuggle says

Mmmmmm stuffed pumpkin sounds amazing too! Emma at my GBGV Life shared a recipe for turkey jerky using ground turkey on today’s hop. Maybe you can appease them with that?

2. nailahbone says

You’ve got such good ideas! :) I was considering making jerky with our leftover turkey, now I’m definitely going to! Thanks for the tips!

• KolchakPuggle says

Only about as long as it can be open at Casa de Kolchak? Full disclosure: I make these in the dehydrator ON THE DECK. It’s the only way or the puggle will know.

• KolchakPuggle says

Thanks! Mama usually marinates everything that way. If you have a vaccuum sealer (we do!) that works even better!

3. Kristine says

The only way I could conceivably leave my oven door open that long with food inside is if my dog somehow lost her sense of smell. It’s either that or I bribe the cat to stand guard. But even he would be tempted!

• KolchakPuggle says

That is honestly what pushed me to buy a dehydrator. I can plug it in out on the deck and shut the slider and no doggy is the wiser.

• KolchakPuggle says

Ha ha ha ha! That is the opposite of lazy! Most people are too lazy to make these from fresh meat, which is why I suggest trying them with leftovers! Either way, we have lucky dogs!