We’re only 6 days into the Holiday season and already, I feel like the season is winning.
I love Christmas. It’s kind of my time, you know? The holidays are made for crafters and bakers! The entire season is a playground for creatives. At any given time, I have approximately a million and twelve projects in my brain that I just have to try!
It’s easy to get swept up in the excitement of the season.
I’m the worst for it. I get caught up in the jingle bells and the flashing lights and I totally lose sight of what’s important.
I’m lucky that my dogs are experts at helping me find my way. To help keep me from spiralling down into Holiday madness, I make a date with my dogs and I force myself to keep it.
Nothing crazy. This is not meant to be yet another arduous obligation that you can never hope to meet. It’s simple. Sweet.
Just set aside five minutes every single day to escape the hustle and the bustle and take five for Fido.
Kind of like a no-pressure Advent Countdown. Here’s some of the ways Koly, Fe and I will be taking time outs this month:
- Trying a new treat – There are few things that get Kolchak going like an awesome new treat. I’m going to toss him a new chew and just sit back and watch as he relishes it with delight.
- Learn a new trick – It only takes a few minutes a day to teach a new behavior! We’ll be working on learning something fun and cute.
- Snuggle up and watch a Christmas Special – OK, this one takes more than a few minutes, but we’ll be making time this month to cuddle up, unplug the craptop and just hang out together.
- Go for a Winter Wonderland walk. – When it’s icy and chilly, you don’t always want to go out, but it’s so pretty! We’re making a point to explore some local neighborhoods to check out all the CHristmas lights and displays.
- Play with a special toy – For Felix this means getting our his Christmas Angry birds, for Kol, we’ll be playing tug with his snowflake garland. Making time to play is good for you and good for the dog.
No matter how you celebrate the season, taking time out to recharge and relax with your pups is the best part. Don’t forget to make time for fur.
How do you take a time out with your dogs?