As a member of the Etsy affiliate program and an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Always have fresh, cold water available. Refresh the bowl frequently. If you’ll be out for a while and want to keep it cool, consider adding ice.
- Get a fancy fountain. I have no idea why, but most dogs love running water! Water fountains keep water moving and fresh. Many have filters to keep it clean and some even keep the water chilled. Fancy. Oh Mama, where is the Visa?
- Pre-soak your kibbles. Add a little warm water to your kibble and let the water soak in prior to serving. This ensures your dog gets enough extra water to process the dry kibble. Kol’s Note: This is not recommended for kibbles that contain citric acid, particularly if you have a large breed, as this can be associated with bloat.
- Feed a hydrated diet. Raw diets naturally contain a much higher moisture content, as do canned diets. If you are looking for something with the convenience of kibble and the nutritional benefits of a hydrated diet, consider a dehydrated raw product like Addiction or Honest Kitchen. These dried products are designed to be mixed with water before serving.
- Serve water with a kick! Tempt reluctant drinkers with doggy cocktails like Kolytinis or Chicken Beer. Adding meat stock and veggies to water can excite almost any pup. Choose a low-fat, low sodium stock. Over time, you can slowly reduce the amount of stock to get back to plain water.
- Offer Frozen treats. Pupsicles like our Cheeseburger Pops or like Freezy Pups treats can help to hydrate our pet when they don’t feel like drinking.