As a member of the Etsy affiliate program and an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Those tiny humans have all the fun.
Can us dogs maybe get a holiday like this?
Of course an easier suggestion might be for your people to hide some eggs for you themselves.
After all, at it’s heart, an Easter Egg hunt is really just a nose work game.
Smelling for treats.
Here are our tips for creating an egg hunt for your dog:
- If your dog is a Power Chewer, skip the plastic eggs. Gentle mouthed dogs will just pop the egg open and eat the treats inside, but power chewers could crack the plastic egg. Instead, just hide treats.
- If you’re going to use Eggs, choose ones that have “air holes” in them or create your own holes. The holes allow the tasty scent of treats to escape. Your dogs can follow their nose to find them!
- If your dog is new to nosework games, fill them with strong-smelling, stinky treats. We used Salmon Paws fish treats which smell like tasty salmon. Make sure what ever you use drives your dog wild! Make sure you save one or two to give your dog just before the hunt.
- Let your dog watch you fill up the eggs with tastiness, so they know what’s in them.
- Block them from the room or the yard while you hide them and make sure you know where you hid them all! If your dog is not experienced with scent games, hide them at snout level in a small, open area, where they can be seen. (Felix is not very treat or scent oriented, so we just piled his eggs in a heap, right in the center of the room. For him, the whole game was getting the eggs open. BOL!)
Boba Fett is guarding an egg.
- Give your dog one of the treats and an egg with the treat in them. It took Kol about 4 seconds to snarf the loose treat, another 12 seconds to pop open the plastic egg and eat that treat, then he was off to find the other eggs he could smell.
- Supervise your dog as they find the treats. Make sure thy find them all or that you pick up any unfound eggs. You should always supervise your dog with plastic eggs, so that you can ensure they don’t try to chew them. Take any broken eggs away immediately.